Re: C-M-anything gives no response

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C-M-anything gives no response
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:06:20 +0300

> Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 19:12:12 +0100
> From: Robin Wilson <r.t.wilson@rmplc.co.uk>
>
> In some ways I prefer the native
> Win32 emacs - but that seems to have a few problems for me with regards
> to things like filename completion. In the console emacs, if I do C-x
> C-f and type a file or directory name and press TAB it completes it, but
> in Win32 emacs it only seems to do that for a very few files, which is
> rather strange.

What version of Emacs is that?  And how few is ``a very few files''?
Completion worked for me in "emacs -nw" in the latest CVS version for
as long as I tried.

Also, does it help to invoke "emacs -nw -q"?  Perhaps your .emacs
customizations are the culprit?

> I am using cygwin in rxvt at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be any
> different in this regard to plain console.

I only tried the native Command Prompt window.  I'd guess Cygwin rxvt
_does_ have something to do with this, as there are fundamental
incompatibilities between Cygwin and native Windows handling of the
console device.  Are you sure you tried in ``plain console''? could it
be that the Cygwin Bash was running in the plain console?