Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 06:44:51 +0900

> I had to prevent the colourising feature, now I actually have to turn
> it on actively!  GNU's ls is not that careful -- and it cannot display
> UTF-8 characters!

Huh?  Neither of these things seem to be true....

ls doesn't emit codes for "color"  unless you use the --color option.

ls obviously doesn't "display" anything; it does however, pass-through
utf8 characters just fine for your terminal (or Emacs) to display
(I just tested it by creating a file with a utf8 name -- it displayed
correctly in Emacs dired, M-x shell, and gnome-terminal).

[This is "ls (GNU coreutils) 5.96" ... Apple has a bit of a reputation
for using long out-of-date versions of things like that, so who knows
what they're including in osx...]

-miles
--
"An atheist doesn't have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there
can't be a god.  He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence