Re: editing mode: .ml files

From: r.stiltskin
Subject: Re: editing mode: .ml files
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, all.  I finally bit the bullet & installed sml-mode.

Since the Makefile doesn't quite do everything, and the INSTALL file doesn't
quite tell everything, here's what I put in my .emacs file.  Maybe it will
save someone else some time:

;this I want to add to the front of auto-mode-alist to override the default
association of .ml files to lisp-mode, as Johan explained:
(setq auto-mode-alist
  (cons '("\\.ml$"  . sml-mode) auto-mode-alist))

;these two lines are for starting up sml-mode:
(setq load-path (cons "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/sml-mode" load-path))
(autoload 'sml-mode "sml-mode" "Major mode for editing SML." t)

;the rest of the sml-mode file associations can be appended to the end of
auto-mode-alist:
(setq auto-mode-alist
  (append '(("\\.sml$" . sml-mode)
            ("\\.sig$" . sml-mode)
            ("\\.ML$"  . sml-mode)) auto-mode-alist))

I see I now have a command M-x sml-mode-info so I'll have to read through
that to see how it works.