Help: I need to use beginning-of-defun

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Help: I need to use beginning-of-defun
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:21:18 -0700

My new Fedora platform's X environment eats C-A-a, so I need another
binding.  I can manually type:

 A-x global-set-key<enter>
 <<three keys held: C-s-a>> beginning-of-defun<enter>

every time I start emacs, but that is not any fun.
too far from the home keys.

I can put:

  (global-set-key [C-s-a]     'beginning-of-defun)

in my .emacs file, and the binding shows up as:

  C-s-a        beginning-of-defun

Unfortunately, that is not recognized.  I need this:

  <C-s-a>        beginning-of-defun

in the table.  And, if there is any comprehensible
documentation of how to spell these things existing
anywhere, I am not able to locate it.

If there is anybody with any emacs development ability
out there reading this, is there any way possible to
have some function say, ``insert-key-name'' that will
take my ``<<three keys held: C-s-a>>'' and insert
whatever magic spelling it takes to be able to create
a valid:

 (global-set-key <<GOBBELDY_GOOK_GOES_HERE>> `somefunction)

PLEASE? please please?  It feels like every time my platform
wiggles, I wind up spending hours and hours and hours just
trying to figure out how to bind standard functions to standard
keys because some standard key gets hosed.  *sigh*.  Thank you.  :(

Regards, Bruce