Re: Nicer way to wake sit-for up?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Nicer way to wake sit-for up?
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:53:12 +0200

spamfilteraccount@gmail.com writes:

> I have a code where the command loop executes a command which is
> waiting for arriving data with sit-for. When the data arrives from the
> network a callback is invoked and I wake sit-for up with a dummy event
> like this:
>
> the callback:

>   (setq unread-command-events (cons 'data-arrived
> unread-command-events))

I can't think of a better way here, but you can just write

  (push 'data-arrived unread-command-events)

>   (sit-for 5)
>   (if (eq (car unread-command-events) 'data-arrived)
>     (setq unread-command-events (cdr unread-command-events)))

You could arrange for the data-arrived event to be ignored, e.g.

(define-key global-map [data-arrived] 'ignore)

Perhaps, you could use ignore instead of data-arrived, i.e.

   (define-key global-map [ignore] 'ignore)

and

   (push 'ignore unread-command-events)

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk