Re: newbie: wordstar keybindings on AuCTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: newbie: wordstar keybindings on AuCTeX
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 18:48:24 +0200

"Luis Rivera" <jlrn77@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm a rookie on this emacs thing, and I got sucked into it by
> AuCTeX.  Now, I'd like to know if someone has an .el file binding
> keys to good old WordStar sequences that work right inside AuCTeX,
> and may want to share; otherwise, I'd like to get instructions on
> either how to load the ws-mode.el from within AuCTeX, or else how to
> load only the keybindings from ws-mode, without loading the mode.

Both wordstar-mode and AUCTeX are major modes, you can't have both at
once.  Seems like the Wordstar aficionados were not interested enough
to aim for a pervasive blending of Emacs and Wordstar like the vi fans
did with viper-mode.

> As you may guess, my first word-processor was WordStar ;-)

So was mine.  I patched the escape sequences for addressing my
self-written terminal emulator into the binary with the help of a
debugger.  That was actually the regular and documented way:
configuration programs where you could just enter your terminal's
escape sequences interactively were invented only later.  Computer
literacy expectations from a computer user at that time were somewhat
different than they are nowadays.

Nevertheless, I got used to using vi, vile, elvis, MicroEmacs, Emacs
and a few other editors in due time.

"Everlasting love" is an ideal even more illusionary in computing than
in romance.