Re: xml package for emacs?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: xml package for emacs?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:47:09 +1000

"DaLoverhino" <DaLoveRhino@hotmail.com> writes:

> What do you suggest as an xml package for emacs?  There seems to be a
> few.  My qualifications are these:
>
> 1. Package is available for gnu emacs on unix and windows.
> 2. Takes advantage of color.
> 3. Does indenting.
> 4. Automatically closes out tag when you do a keystroke to close out
> tag.
>    So, it will automatically insert "</tag>" for you.
> 5. Can move between opening and closing tags, and move upto enclosing
> tags.
>
> 1,4 and 5 are most important to me.
>
> thanks.

I find nxml-mode really good. It may take a little customizing to get
it to work exactly as you want or to add things like xml validation
etc, but I've found it all works really well. It supports tag
completion (and can use DTD to determine valid tags), will close off
open tags with a simple keystroke, has syntax highlighting and
appropriate indentation etc. A very nice mode for XML authoring. I've
used it as a basis for a very nice docbook authoring environment.

See the emacs wiki for more info http://www.emacswiki.org

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au