Re: repeat-on-final-keystroke

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: repeat-on-final-keystroke
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:05:21 GMT

"Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.871.1145896319.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
>     > editing tens of different buffers, which is typical for me
>
>     For that many buffers it seems like iswitchb would work better if
you
>     could use a naming convention that made the names differ more at the
>     beginning of the string than at the end.
>
> Hack! Cough!

But for non-programers it's usually the case that only a few buffers are
needed. And I don't think that emacs or most os's care whether a file is
called chap1 or 1chap.

>     This might not be convenient
>     unless you could get used to reading the buffer names backwards
>      a l'arabe
>     (i.e. "h.sfed" for "defs.h" by performing reverse-string of file
name to
>     get buffer name).
>
> In that case it _would_ be convenient? Argggh!

No of course not. It's not only ugly, it's downright perverse. Just
thinking out loud. I'm a palindrome fan.

>     You can also filter out *Help, *Info, and other
>     read-only buffers with iswitch...
>
> Try Icicles. It's designed to be useful with large numbers of completion
> candidates (in this case, buffer names). No need to jump through hoops
> finagle buffer names so they have prefixes that follow some convention,
read
> their names backward, or any such witchcraft.
>
> In addition to the prefix matching of vanilla Emacs, Icicles gives you
> apropos-style matching. You can 1) match any substring of the name (in
fact,
> you can match any regexp against the name), and you can 2) cycle among
those
> matches. With a large number of candidates, you typically use apropos
> matching to narrow the choices and then you might cycle among the
remaining
> candidates using a single key (e.g. `next').
>
> Does "regexp matching" sound scary, complicated, difficult? 1) Don't
forget
> that _any_ string of letters, numbers and such is also a regexp, so this
> gives you substring matching without doing anything special. 2) With
> Icicles, you can use one simple regexp (e.g. just a substring) to
filter,
> and then use another simple regexp (e.g. another substring) to filter
> further, and so on - any number of times. This is just like doing grep
plant
> *.txt | grep food | grep mineral: you can find multiple substrings of a
> buffer name (or file name or...) that might appear in any order within
the
> name.
>
> Here is the doc (which has a link to the library files):
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles. Have fun!

I'm sure this is closer to what the OP really needs. I don't have any use
for it since I don't edit that many files simultaneously so it's overkill
for me to add a lot of things that aren't part of emacs as it comes out of
the box. Maybe Auctex would be a good idea though.