Re: replacing endline

From: Fredrik Bulow
Subject: Re: replacing endline
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:43:46 +1000

>> I don't see why this behavior shouldn't be labeled as a bug.
>
>if you label that behavior as a bug, then you have introduced two
>"bugs", not just one.  the first bug is in your mental model of how
>emacs should work, and the second, the one labeled as suggested.  if
>you pre-emptively fix the first bug, perhaps the second bug will, as a
>result, vanish as well.
>
>applying the above thought process to various behaviors, you may
>be able to find and remove many bugs in the future.  good luck!
>
>thi

Thanks for that totally uncalled for insult. Of course, any bug can be
removed by changing your expectations on how a program should behave
to the way a program actually behaves. "It's not a bug that something
crashes, it is suppose to crash, and how do I know that? Well, I tried
and it crashed!." Usually, if something behaves in an unexpected way I
think it is a bug unless there is a good reason why the current
behaviour makes more sense than what I expected. I was kind of hoping
that someone would give me the good reason why there should be two
different behaviours.

So once again, what is the good reason that (query-replace "\n" "#")
behave differenty than calling the same function with its keybinding
and providing it interactively with the same arguments?

/Fredrik