Re: changing bookmark entry

From: Mike Ballard
Subject: Re: changing bookmark entry
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:55:56 GMT

On Tue Apr 18, I was peacefully napping until Kevin Rodgers said:

> Mike Ballard wrote:
> > In ~/.emacs.bnk I have a bookmark which opens an existing file; the file
> > is continually being written to by another source.  So the line the
> > bookmark code set to open the file to originally, is now way up near the
> > top of this growing file whenever I open this bookmark.
> > How can I change the ~/.emacs.bmk entry to make it always open this
> > bookmarked file and position point at the end of the buffer instead?
> > Here's the code as it is now:
> > (("bookmark title"
> >   ((filename . "<path to some file>")
> >    (front-context-string . " 18:32:29 EDT 20")
> >    (rear-context-string . "t)  - Sat Apr 08")
> >    (position . 8154)))
>
> (goto-char POSITION) will move point to the end of the buffer if
> POSITION is greater than (point-max).  So choose the largest possible
> buffer position on your platform:
>
> (defconst most-positive-fixnum (eval '(lsh -1 -1)))

Thanks so much!!

I couldn't figure out how to use the defconst/var stuff w/o 'integer-p'
kinds of errors so I just did '(position . NNN+)', removed the context
strings and it works perfectly (file size will never get this big anyway
so seems perfectly satisfactory to me; I'm assuming the 'lsh' thing is for
some reason returning an invalid value)...

Mike