Comint Newbie

From: Suttles, Andrew
Subject: Comint Newbie
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:47:16 -0400

I've found that managing emacs *shell* buffers to be tremendously more
useful than having many different CDE xwin terminals open, when working
on several projects.  I'd like to customize the emacs shell environment
to be more useful, but I'm having some trouble.

I've added the following hook:

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
  '(lambda ()
    ...snip...
    (setq comint-input-ring-file-name "~/.sh_history")
    (setq comint-input-ring-size 100)
    (setq comint-input-ring-separator "\n")
    (comint-read-input-ring)))

This works to load my shell history when I enter a new *shell* buffer,
however, there are many ^@, ^A, and ^B characters in the .sh_history
file that are useful to the Korn shell history mechanism, but just get
quoted at the prompt in emacs when I scroll through the history. Is
there a way (a hook, or something) I can get rid of these.  I've played
with the comint-input-ring-separator to no avail.

HPUX 11.00
Emacs 21.1.2

Thanks,

Andrew