Word wrap / "soft" line breaks

From: Sven Havemann
Subject: Word wrap / "soft" line breaks
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:17:13 +0200

Hi!

I would like to configure the behaviour of Emacs concerning the display of long lines of text.

What it does:
Long lines (say 800 characters with one newline at the end) fill several lines in the window, but emacs treats them as one long continuous line: Words are broken right in the middle and continued on the next line, which is indicated with a small bent arrow. Navigation is possible only to the left and right, the up and down keys may skip a dozen lines in the window. The alternative is using auto-fill, but that inserts many newlines, and I have to re-format the paragraph whenever I change something in it.

What I would like it to do:
A true word wrap mode where long lines fill the width of the window, but complete words are put on the next line if they do not fit. Up- and down-keys work as expected, going down one line on the screen, and not one line of the file.

Any help is appreciated,
thanks in advance,
cheers,
Sven