Re: isearch-whole-buffer?

From: xyblor
Subject: Re: isearch-whole-buffer?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:42:34 -0500

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

xyblor wrote:

Is there a way to search the whole buffer while I type, like Firefox's
"find" command?

(defadvice isearch-forward (before beginning-of-buffer activate)
"Move point to the beginning of the buffer; leave mark at previous position."
  (beginning-of-buffer))

Thanks for the suggestion; I didn't know about this whole "advice" concept. As you pointed out, this solution messes with the point in such a way that C-g does not get you back to where you were before the search, and I don't think I can live with that.