Re: Debugging byte compiled files

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: Debugging byte compiled files
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:16:22 +0000

> >> I think that the problem is coming from this macro...
> >>
> >> (defmacro pabbrev-save-buffer-modified-p (&rest body) [...]
> >
> > Does the `defmacro' form occur before its use within your library ?
>

> There is a single use of the macro before its use. You question
> suggests to me that this is a bad thing?

Yup.  Sorry for not being clear.  Stefan has already explained the
problem really well.  See also (elisp) Compiling Macros:

"In order for compilation of macro calls to work, the macros must
already be defined in Lisp when the calls to them are compiled.  The
compiler has a special feature to help you do this: if a file being
compiled contains a `defmacro' form, the macro is defined temporarily
for the rest of the compilation of that file.  To make this feature
work, you must put the `defmacro' in the same file where it is used,
and before its first use."