Re: Emacs as the desktop?

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: Emacs as the desktop?
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 01:40:57 +0100

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:20:40 +0800 William Xu wrote:

> What i'm thinking of now is that, with Emacs being the WM, we could,
> control other applications just like a buffer or a mode in Emacs. For
> instance, when there is a firefox, and an Emacs, "C-x 2" can split the
> screen into two parts, one of them is firefox. This way, it would be
> very convenient and consistent to manage applications running outside
> Emacs.

I use ratpoison, with C-q as the prefix for window manager
commands:

C-q C-x 2, C-q C-x 3, C-q C-x 1, C-q C-x b, ...

But it's a pain when you need to run applications that don't
like to be managed this way (like gimp).  There are other
window managers with a similar philosophy that can deal with
such applications (e.g. ion or wmi).  Or like me, you just
run FVWM in a Xnest window.

David