Re: basic question: reusing frame when opening Emacs file

From: Peter Tury
Subject: Re: basic question: reusing frame when opening Emacs file
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 08:47:35 GMT

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:14:08 GMT, B. T. Raven wrote:

> Are you sure that you are not opening another instance of emacs?

Thanks for the idea, but yes, I am sure: I see all the buffers in both
frames, and if I close one frame, I still have the "newly visited" file in
a buffer in the other frame.

Some more info: it seems that initial-frame-alist is not used for the new
frame, but some default values.

I tried some other things: if I try to visit a file what is already opened
then I get a new frame for it if it wasn't in "the upmost" (the "active"?)
buffer in any frames (but the file is not opened again, in a new buffer:
just the existing buffer is "activated" in a new frame); but if the buffer
is "active" in a frame, then just that frame is "activated".

Should I check some hook running at file opening? What? How?

> Why not have emacs look for the file instead of versa vice?

Sometimes this way is easier: e.g. when I am at the file in TotalCommander
already, it is easier to press enter than switching (by hand) to emacs and
locate the same file...

Thanks,