Making M-X compile cache compile command across sessions?

From: Roy Smith
Subject: Making M-X compile cache compile command across sessions?
Date: 27 Jan 2006 09:22:20 -0500

I'm working in a system which has longish compile commands, for
example, "cd /work/smithr/sandbox/B-IC-6-2/smarts/clsapi; gmake
BV=SUFFIX=V65".

It's a pain to type all this every time I start up a new emacs
session.  I know I can setq compile-command in my .emacs file, but
that's a little too static.  It would be cool if emacs wrote the last
compile command I used out to a file so it has a persistant cache
across emacs sessions.  Any way to make it do that?

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.1.