Turn OFF default TRAMP in Emacs 22.x, need VMS access

From: nelson . ingersoll
Subject: Turn OFF default TRAMP in Emacs 22.x, need VMS access
Date: 16 Jan 2006 10:02:06 -0800

I am currently using Emacs v21.3 on platforms I am working on.  This
includes Windows 2K/XP, SunOS, Tru64, and Linux (flavors).   Would use
Emacs on OpenVMS if I could find a functioning binary for AXP.  Heck,
I'd use ANY version of Emacs on VMS if I could find a functioning
binary.  I've had no luck compiling it.

I have been playing around with newer releases of Emacs, 22.0.50
recently.  In all cases they have installed TRAMP in lieu of ANGE-FTP.
Alas, IMHO, TRAMP is much too slow and intense.  ANGE-FTP works, for me
at least, much better.  By an order of magnitude.   Salt in the ound,
TRAMP does not work in the least at all no way with VMS.   I work in a
VMS shop.  That REALLY kills TRAMP from my point of view.

So I want to use ANGE-FTP with Emacs 22.x.  Alas, setting the tramp
default method, ala (setq tramp-default-method "ftp"), still leaves
TRAMP in the path being difficult.   I want to get rid of it.
Completely.

How can I completely remove TRAMP from a release?  I can install
ANGE-FTP via my site-lisp directory and my .emacs file.  I commented
out the TRAMP section in ../lisp/loaddefs.el; however, that didn't
work.  Did I miss something or is there somewhere else to go as well?

Thank you for your help.

- Nelson