Re: guide to emacs encoding?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: guide to emacs encoding?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:48:10 +0100

Am 14.01.2006 um 10:42 schrieb no_one_reads_it@gmx.net:

I often come across problems when using files that have been written by
other people. Mostly it's french texts and as those people use
different encodings than I do, accented characters aren't displayed
correctly or I get lots of ^M escape caracters instead of carriage
return. I would like to know whether there is a guide to how one can
handle different encodings using gnu emacs on a linux system.

There is: in GNU Emacs' info system. There is too the "Options" menu, which has "Mule (Multilingual Environment)" that leads to some other entries, for example "Set Coding Systems." You can choose some other entry there, for example "Describe Coding System" and choose one. In The *Help* buffer you'll find some hyper links into the info system ... for example in 'International' or 'International Character Set Support' -- they share some text.

It's helpful to have an environment variable like LANG set. GNU Emacs will then set a few things right and you would not need to set for example:

        (set-language-environment               'German)
        (setq default-file-name-coding-system   'utf-8)
        (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
        (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'iso-latin-9-unix))
        (set-default-coding-systems             'mac-roman-unix)
        ;(setq mac-keyboard-text-encoding        kTextEncodingISOLatin1)
        (set-keyboard-coding-system             'sjis-mac)
        (set-clipboard-coding-system            'sjis-mac)
        (prefer-coding-system                   'mac-roman-unix)
        (modify-coding-system-alist      'file "\\.tex\\'" 'iso-latin-9-unix)
(modify-coding-system-alist 'process "\\*[Ss][Hh][Ee][Ll][Ll].*\\'" 'utf-8-unix)
        ;(set-buffer-process-coding-system      'utf-8 'utf8)

Some of the values used here are non-sense. At least you'll find explanations for the variables or the functions.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.    (Paul Eluard)