Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 06:38:21 +0200

> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:48:24 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> >I don;t think we should worry about what the printer processor does:
> >it's part of the OS.  What matters is what it accepts, not what it
> >does with that.
> >

> I think we need all information we got to get the pieces together here.

Well, good luck, then  Getting _all_ the information will take an
enormous amount of time.

> >You probably mean ANSI (which includes 8-bit non-ASCII characters in
> >addition to ASCII), but I think it's more general than that.  Why
> >would the mechanism I described be limited to ANSI text?  Why cannot
> >it work for Unicode as well?
> >

> No. I mean ASCII. Please look at the description of how the Text type is
> handled. That is the description I gave above where the GDI converts to
> EMF. In this process only ASCII is accepted according to the manuals at MS.

No, it accepts 8-bit text.

> >Here, for example:
> >

> Sorry, I think you did not send that.

Oops.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/graphics/hh/graphics/provider_b941f8a9-ddb3-47ca-afa2-d06c6de2ce74.xml.asp

> >There's no need to convert PostScript to EMF, since a PostScript
> >printer will be happy accepting the PostScript program as plain text.
> >

> What do you mean? How can you assume that it is a PostScript printer?

If it's not a PostScript printer, you cannot print PostScript to it.

> And if it where, how can you assume that it is in a state where it
> accepts PostScript?

The printer enters the PostScript state automatically when it sees the
PostScript preamble.