Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: LENNART BORGMAN
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:58:49 +0100

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>

> > >You can use the "net use" command to arrange for some port,
> like LPT2,
> > >to redirect its output to this printer.  (I think this is
> explained in
> > >the Emacs manual.)  Then all you need to do to print is to set
> > >printer-name to "LPT2",
> > >

> > I will try, but is there any technical reason to assume that
> this works
> > differently?
>
> I don't know, it's hard to tell without taking a good look at how your
> printers are configured on that specific system.
>
> > I guess I can then do
> >
> >    copy file.txt lpt2:
>
> Yes (but lose the colon after "lpt2", it's redundant).

I have tried this now. First I tried

   net use LPT2: \\host-name\queue-but-not-share-name

This queue name is not a share name too and I just got

    System error 67 has occured.
    The network name can not be found.

Then I used another queue name which is also a share name:

    net use LPT2: \\host-name\share-and-queue-name

This completed fine. Then I did

    copy file.txt LTP2

No error, but also no output on the printer. Just as before. I also tried using
LPT2:. (I also did a "dir L*" ;-)

Suggestions?