Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:26:36 +0100

   From: bkhl@elektrubadur.se (=?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B6rn_Lindstr=C3=B6m?=)

   Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

   > OK, the distance from the home row is shorter, but I still don't think
   > you can conclude that it is more efficient. For example, C-f require
   > "two" (or one, or one and a half if you want) keypresses while the
   > arrow keys require only single keypresses.

   That argument is a bit flawed. Too use the arrow keys you have to
   abandon the basic touch typing position completely and then find it
   again. This will take a lot longer than pressing any key combination you
   can reach from the basic position.

This is exactly why I feel better with key combinations than with arrow keys.
My arrow keys are very small and not disposed ideally. I guess this depends
on keyboards more than anything else.

Xavier