Re: Emacs on AMD64

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Emacs on AMD64
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:47:36 +0200

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:40:45 +0100 (CET),
Waldek Hebisch <hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> Reiner Steib wrote:
>>On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>>
>>> $ ../emacs-21.4/configure
>>> creating cache ./config.cache
>>> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>>> configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
>>> systems.
>>> Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
>>
>>> Is the message true?  Mandrake 9.2 contains emacs-21.3 (I wanted to
>>> upgrade).
>>
>> Emacs 21.4 and 21.3 only differ by a single security fix.  Probably
>> Mandrake has already fixed this problem in their emacs-21.3 package
>> without increasing the version to 21.4.  Here on SuSE 9.2:
>>
>> ,----
>> | $ rpm -q --changelog emacs|less +/movemail
>> |
>> | * Fri Feb 04 2005 - address@hidden
>> |
>> | - Security fix for movemail applied (bug #50237)
>> `----
>
> Mandrake emacs is dated Aug 28  2003, so I doubt it has the fix :(. But
> that is minor thing: I would like to applay a patch to emacs, so first
> I need to build it from sources.
>
> Also, I think that other folks would like to know if GNU Emacs is
> supported on AMD64.

I'm running the CVS version of Emacs on FreeBSD/amd64 since several
weeks ago, after the emacs-devel people reviewed the source changes I
made to make it buildable on FreeBSD/amd64.

This diff:
http://people.freebsd.org/~keramida/emacs/22/freebsd-amd64+libgcc.patch

includes all the changes I keep locally for running cvs-emacs on amd64,
until they are committed to the Emacs source tree.

I don't know what sort of support you would be satisfied with, or if
your local environment allows running the current development version of
Emacs out of CVS, but my own experience so far suggests that the people
who frequent the emacs-devel mailing list are quite helpful and reply
very fast to any queries I make; that's all I need to run Emacs on my
FreeBSD/amd64 systems :)

- Giorgos