Re: can one run tk/Ruby gui code from an emacs shell with compile?

From: Anne G
Subject: Re: can one run tk/Ruby gui code from an emacs shell with compile?
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:41:22 -0500 (EST)

Yes, I was getting tired. I must have done compile
myfilename instead of compile ruby myfilename. That's
probably why I got the permission denied. And something
replaced request with Request in emacs, and Request does not
work.

In any case, I got terminal and emacs to work again.

I commented with # the line in /.emacs_bash and moved the
file from le to el and rebooted.
terminal and emacs still work.

env | egrep -w 'PATH|DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH'
in the emacs shell:
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lib

with cat ~/.emacs_bash
        # unset DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
and cat ~/.bashrc
        # Add /usr/local/bin to the path
        export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
and
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST
        1.0//EN"
        "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
        <plist version="1.0">
        <dict>
                 <key>PATH</key>

<string>/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin</string>
        </dict>
        </plist

with the environment.plist in the trash, the path is
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/anne:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lib

and the compilation gives an error
ruby ~/Desktop/dudruby3.rb
/Users/anne/Desktop/dudruby3.rb:1:in `require': No such file
to load -- tk (LoadError)
        from /Users/anne/Desktop/dudruby3.rb:1
So the environment.plist is needed.

so the environment.plist is important.

rubycocoa stopped working even with a tutorial which used to
work fine, even with reinstall from package. even with
environement.plist out in trash. Oh well.  Don't know when
it stopped working exactly. Something to watch out for
another time.

I hope this additional testing helps figure out the problem.

Sorry to have taken so much of your time.

anne