Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?
Date: 20 Nov 2005 20:18:28 +1100

Anselm Helbig <anselm@chemie.fu-berlin.de> writes:

> > I have read that I can use the .Xresources but I would rather have it in
> > my .emacs file.
>
> now, that's an easy one:
>
>       (tool-bar-mode 1)
>
> > What is the reason the the tool-bar is disabled by default?
>
> well, that's a matter of taste, of course. the tool-bar takes up a lot
> of screen real estate, and does not offer that many functions (like,
> compared to the menu bar). and you can do everything with the keyboard
> anyway. furthermore, the toolbar was added in gnu emacs 21 (someone
> correct me if i'm wrong), so it presumably was turned off by default
> to not confuse users switching from gnu emacs 20 too much.
>
> but i am not an emacs developer, so, just guessing...
>
> kind regards,
>
> anselm

Actually, with the first emacs 21, the tool bar was turned on by
default with most distros - I remember all the posts to this and other
emacs groups cursing the waste of real estate and wanting to turn it
off.

The OP post was the first I knew it was now off by default - and a
bloody good thing to!

Tim

--
Tim Cross