Re: wrong type argument: stringp, nil

From: Kevin Greiner
Subject: Re: wrong type argument: stringp, nil
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:15:26 -0600

"invokey" <invokey@gmail.com> writes:

> hi, all ,
>       I have got some trouble with my emacs to send mail. whenever I C-c
> C-c to send a mail under Gnus,
>       I always got an error message:
>               wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
>       Yes, I know that might caused by a fake smtp setting, however, I can't
> find the bug out.

M-x toggle-debug-on-error

When the error is triggered, you'll be dropped into the debug buffer.
You're probably running compiled code so the stack trace will only
show the function names.

If so, do describe-function (c-h f) on the function containing the
error to get the name of the library loading it.  Then use m-x
locate-library to find it on your harddrive.  The lisp file for that
library may be located in the same folder.  If so, load it now.

Use 'q' to abort out of the debug buffer then trigger the error
again.  This time, the stack trace will show the forms within the
final function.  That should be sufficient for you to identify the
variable that is nil.