Re: opening file in unix emacs

From: Edward Dodge
Subject: Re: opening file in unix emacs
Date: 08 Nov 2005 17:31:50 -0700

"Leip, Eric" <Eric.Leip@parexel.com> writes:

> Hello-
>
> I don't know if this is the correct procedure but I was wondering if I
> could get help with emacs.
>
> I have been using emacs on unix for about 10 years and I always easily
> opened a file by typing "emacs FILENAME".  At my new job, this only
> opens the emacs editor and doesn't open FILENAME.  I have tried "emacs
> -nw FILENAME" and that also just opens an emacs session, not that
> specific file.  I have checked my .BASHRC file and there are no
> aliases for emacs.  Any suggestions or is there someone else I could
> contact?
>
> Thanks

Put this in your .emacs:

(server-start)

Then you never need to quit the program.  From then on, if you want to edit a
file, just make an alias for emacsclient:

alias e emacsclient

At the UNIX prompt:

% e <filename>

And your file should be waiting for your edits back at EMACS Home-Base.

--
Edward Dodge

   __o
 _`\(,_