Better highlighting of currently selected window?

From: acd dfg
Subject: Better highlighting of currently selected window?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:13:41 -0700 (PDT)

Is there any way to highlight the currently selected
window, aside from customizing the mode-line face?

My emacs windows & frames tend to be rather tall (my
display is 1200 pixels high), so when I'm focused on
the top of a window I often don't notice the
mode-line showing me that the window is not the
selected one.

Ideally, I would like to be able to set the selected
window's background color to be different from all
non-selected windows.

If that's not possible, being able to set the fringe
color for just the selected window might help.

Thanks,
David