Calling `compile` command on a remote host

From: Anakreon
Subject: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:13:01 +0300

I use tramp to edit files on a remote host from within emacs.
This works fine but I'd prefer to call the [Alt+x compile] command on those
files. Now I use ssh to call 'make' on the remote host which has the
disadvantage
that the errors found during compilation are reported on the console.

Is there a way to convince the compile command to call 'make' on the remote host
via ssh?