Re: "Best" way to run on Windows XP

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: "Best" way to run on Windows XP
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:26:36 +0200

treebeard wrote:

Chris Lott wrote:

Is the "best" way to run emacs on Windows XP to use the Native XP build
or the Cygwin? By "best" I mean: stable, able to run elisp code from
emacs.sources, and able to effectively use external tools like grep,
diff, etc... ?

I find using the Windows-native Emacs or XEmacs in conjunction with the cygwin tools to be the most versatile. Either way, you have access to all of the binaries on the path (incl the cygwin binaries). One thing I really like about the native vs. cygwin versions is that drag-and-drop of directories or files from Windows Explorer is supported.

I have found the Gnuwin32 version of gnu tools to be very good together with Emacs (but I am not the most experienced). For example they can handle both unix and Windows style line endings without difficulties. In contrast this is currently not the case with MSYS which makes it quite a bit harder to use MSYS.

However I miss "sh" which unfortunateluy not is not part of the Gnuwin32 tools. (It would be nice if someone ported it in a useful way like the other Gnuwin32 tools.)