mouse and Delete key

From: Baloff
Subject: mouse and Delete key
Date: 31 Jul 2005 08:03:19 +1000

Hello

I was reading the node on the mouse commands, this is not working,

Mouse Commands for Editing
   If you select a region with any of these mouse commands, and then
immediately afterward type the <DELETE> function key, it deletes the
region that you selected.

I mouse-1 say at the beginning of a line and mouse-3 past the end char.
then hit the <Delete> key. it does not delete the line "region" but
only the last character.

what am I doing wrong, how can I delete a region. I usually do C-w but that
puts it in the kill buffer.

thanks