Re: font size

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: font size
Date: 31 Jul 2005 02:16:53 +1000

Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > > From: Baloff <washdc@wash.edu>
> > > Date: 29 Jul 2005 14:24:37 +1000
> > >
> > > I am trying to change the font size.
> > > after reading in info info on how to seach the info. I was able to
> > > find in info emacs ps-font-size should do it.
> > >
> > > but when I type ps<tab> in the mini buffer I get
> > >
> > > Possible completions are:
> > > ps-despool                           ps-line-lengths
> > > ps-mode                              ps-nb-pages-buffer
> > > ps-nb-pages-region                   ps-print-buffer
> > > ps-print-buffer-with-faces           ps-print-customize
> > > ps-print-region                      ps-print-region-with-faces
> > > ps-spool-buffer                      ps-spool-buffer-with-faces
> > > ps-spool-region                      ps-spool-region-with-faces
> > >
> > > nothing about font size.
> >
> > Try loading ps-print first, like this:
> >
> >     M-x load-library RET ps-print RET
> >
> > and then try typing "ps TAB" again.
> >
> > (Some variables are only defined when the respective package is loaded
> > into Emacs.)
> >
> > Btw, ps-font-size is only for the ps-print feature, it will not affect
> > the fonts used for display.  Are you sure this is what you need?
>
> I am trying to increase the font size displayed on the screen. plus I
> don't know what S-down-mouse-1 or M-x mouse-set-font! mean.
> what is S-down-mouse-1 any way?

Firstly, I'd recommend reading the tutorial C-h t (Control and h
together then t). Also check out the info pages on emacs.

In emacs, font related stuff is covered by the term 'face'. Try M-x
customize-face <ret> (where M-x means hit Meta plus x and Meta is
*usually* the Alt key)

If your running on Linux under X, you can also use X resource settings
(see info pages). You can also set the font on the command line with
-font.

Tim

--
Tim Cross