Re: "Best" way to run on Windows XP

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "Best" way to run on Windows XP
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:31:19 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
>> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:14 +0200
>>
>> Newsflash: of the 500MB+ of a full TeXlive installation, TeX itself
>> makes up for less than 1%.
>
> Just couldn't resist, could you?
>
> Please grep ChangeLog files in TeX/Web2C directories for my name,
> and I think you will find that I know very well about what's there
> since about 8 years ago.  And _all_ that stuff, including the other
> 99%,

All that stuff in TeX/Web2C _is_ maybe 1% of a full TeXlive
installation, and certainly does not include the other 99%.

> changes very little, from the user point of view.

You mean, PDFTeX does not exist, almost _everything_ PDF-related does
not exist, listings.sty does not exist, all the various presentation
classes do not exist, ConTeXt does not exist, LaTeX never got around
to supporting any encoding except latin-1, useful scalable fonts do
not exist, source specials don't exist, KOMA-Script and memoir don't
exist and so forth and so on?