face properties that are untouched by font lock

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: face properties that are untouched by font lock
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:48:52 -0500

I would like to add a text property to buffers that has
the following characteristics:

 It is a text property, not an overlay, because I want to be able to
 cut and paste the text and keep the property.

 It has a user-visible aspect to it; a face would be good,
 but the face property is "owned" by font-lock; my property
 should nonetheless be compatible with font-lock.

 I want my property to have higher precedence than font-lock's
 face property, i.e., if font-lock turns some word blue,
 but I turned it red, it should always appear in red.

Does anyone have any advice on this topic?

I looked at (and do not fully understand) the description of
`font-lock-face' from the "Special Properties" node of the elisp
manual.  It seems like it might be close to what I want, but with the
precedence turned around.  I could be quite worng about that.