translating mouse clicks

From: r3jsel
Subject: translating mouse clicks
Date: 13 Jul 2005 10:51:27 -0700

I have a trackball with four buttons which emacs sees as buttons
mouse-1, mouse-3, mouse-4, and mouse-5.  I would like emacs to
treat mouse-4 clicks as though they were mouse-2 clicks.

Googling finds suggestions to try

(global-set-key [mouse-4] [mouse-2])
(define-key key-translation-map [mouse-4] [mouse-2])
(keyboard-translate 'mouse-4 'mouse-2)

but none of these work for me.

Doing the first or second and clicking the mouse-4 button causes
emacs to complain that "mouse-yank-at-click must be bound to an
event with parameters"

Doing the third causes emacs to complain that mouse-4 should be an
integer.

(This is with a relatively recent version of CVS emacs on MS Windows
from nqmacs.sourceforge.net, GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2.)

Can anyone suggest a method that works?

Thanks,
David