Re: asymchronously

From: Dan Elliott
Subject: Re: asymchronously
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:06:26 -0500

Luis O. Silva wrote:
Dear Emacs community,

Goal:
Being in Dired mode I want to apply a shell command to a file
asynchronously.

Details:
I'm using the extension dired-x.el, Emacs 21.2.1. When in
Dired mode I use dired-do-shell-command for launching xdvi on
a .dvi file. I want to use Emacs further while browsing the
xdvi window, but that is impossible since Emacs waits until
the xdvi process is terminated.

When I perform a shell command on files, etc. in emacs, I just put a & after the command. This may be to simplistic, but it seems to work.

- dan