Re: user-input ?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: user-input ?
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:00:03 -0600

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?CategoryCode and especially
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CreateNewMajorMode

> For this, I need to read some input from the user, but I was not able
> to find anything about that, in the elisp manual. Can anyone please
> tell me how?

99% of the time you should only read input to supply arguments to an
interactive command, so start with `C-h f interactive'.  When the basic
interactive codes aren't enough, note that you can write more
complicated things like this:

(interactive (list (read-foo "Foo: " ...)
                   (read-bar "Bar: " ...)
                   ...))

See the rather large "Minibuffers" section of the Emacs Lisp manual,
paying particular attention to the various read-* functions, most of
which are documented in the "High-Level Completion" and "Reading File
Names" nodes.

--
Kevin Rodgers