[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)

From: Bob Babcock
Subject: Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:17:59 GMT
User-agent: Xnews/06.12.01

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote in 

>> It seems people rarely come up with "fringe" on their own, instead they
>> think of "border" or "margin".
> I thought about these myself, but the problem is, we already have
> other features that have these two words in their names.  I'll see if
> I can come up with something nonetheless.

When I look up border in info, the first thing I find is

   "An Emacs frame has an internal border and an external border.  The
internal border is an extra strip of the background color around the
text portion of the frame."

This definition of internal border comes very close to fitting fringe, but 
the fringe doesn't use the background color and doesn't completely surround 
the text portion of the frame.  Perhaps there could be a note at this point 
in the documentation defining the fringe.

I quized my son, who is not an emacs user, and he suggested the name gutter 
for the fringe area (as well as border and margin).

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]