Re: clipboard cut/paste problem

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: clipboard cut/paste problem
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 19:05:51 +0200

Am 02.05.2005 um 02:59 schrieb plaut:

I'm having a problem getting emacs (21.4.1 under Linux) to import text
from other applications via cut/paste.  I have the following in my
.emacs:

(setq-default x-select-enable-clipboard t)

You shouldn't do that! By this means everything you kill in GNU Emacs is put into the X clipboard and another copy is put into the primary selection. This is pollution.

(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

Any suggestions?

Deliberately copy something into the clipboard that this gets shared among all X clients! Most of what you kill is obviously scrap, otherwise you wouldn't kill it, would you? Besides there are in GNU Emacs functions like clipboard-kill-region or clipboard-kill-ring-save. And check mouse-insert-selection! This is what I use to import something into GNU Emacs. And what about x-get-selection/x-get-cut-buffer?

--
Greetings

  Pete