Re: emacs and UTF-8

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs and UTF-8
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:05:16 +0200

Am 28.04.2005 um 19:44 schrieb knubee:

I'm running Emacs 21.3 under Debian, and below are some settings from
.emacs file.

(set-language-environment 'UTF-8)
(set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
(setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
(setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
(setq coding-system-for-write           'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system             'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system             'utf-8)
(set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)

In case debian uses UTF-8 too for file names: keep that entry! All others can go to /dev/null, *if* you set environment variables similiar to these:

    LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8

GNU Emacs learns from these settings a lot. If something fails, then it could be you need (set-language-environment 'UTF-8) too.

--
Greetings

  Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.