Re: Can't load .el files

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Can't load .el files
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:56:14 +1000

JS <d44sf@44ada.com> writes:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 22.04.2005 um 12:18 schrieb JS:
>>
>>> (require 'tabbar)
>>> (require 'pc-bufsw)
>>>

>> These files need to have provide staements. The require statement have
>> to match what's being provided.
>
> Finally some progress! I now have this in my .emacs file:
>
> (provide 'tabbar)
> (global-set-key [(control f10)] 'tabbar-local-mode)
>
> When I restart emacs I get no errors, but when I press C-F10 I get this
> "error":
>
> "Symbol's function definition is void: tabbar-local-mode"
>
> any idea on how to get this mode working?

The (provide ...) statements need to be in the library file your
trying to load, not in your .emacs. They are telling emacs that the
library file "provides" some feature. You then put the corresponding
(require ...) statements in your .emacs to tell emacs that you require
that feature.

Tim

--
Tim Cross