Re: Problems with global-set-key

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Problems with global-set-key
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:34:55 -0400

In article <d4afei$a6u$1@news.net.uni-c.dk>, JS <d44sf@44ada.com>
wrote:

> In my .emacs file I have made this:
>
> (global-set-key "\C-z" 'shell)
>
> And it works fine when I restart emacs.
>

> But when I do this:
>
> (global-set-key "\M-a" 'comment-dwim)
>
> I get this error when I restart:
>

> An error has occurred while loading `/home/johs/.emacs':
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: global-set-key
>
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause
> of the error in your initialization file and remove it.  Start
> Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
> backtrace
>
> ------------------------
>
> I have then tried to start emacs like this: emacs --debug-init and then I
> get this:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function global-set-key )

It looks to me like there's a strange character in your file after
'global-set-key', so it's trying to find a function named
global-set-key<strangechar>.  Notice the space before the close-paren --
that's not normal.  Normally Emacs Lisp will escape space characters in
symbol names, so I suspect it's an international character that happens
to look like space.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA