Re: Persistent Remote Emacs/GNU screen conflict

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Persistent Remote Emacs/GNU screen conflict
Date: 15 Apr 2005 01:38:04 +0200

Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to be able to keep an Emacs process persistent across ssh
> connections and such. In the past I've used GNU screen, which works
> great, but a keybinding commonly used in Emacs, C-a, conflicts with
> one of screen's bindings.
>
> Has anyone discovered either a way of configuring screen or an
> alternative to screen which solves this problem?

What's the problem?

man screen

       -e xy
            specifies the command character to be x  and  the  character
            generating  a  literal  command  character  to y (when typed
            after the command character).  The default is "C-a" and `a',
            which  can  be specified as "-e^Aa".  When creating a screen
            session, this option sets the default command character.  In
            a multiuser session all users added will start off with this
            command character. But when attaching to an already  running
            session,  this  option changes only the command character of
            the attaching user.  This option is equivalent to either the
            commands "defescape" or "escape" respectively.

You never feed me.
Perhaps I'll sleep on your face.
That will sure show you.