Re: emacs and osx

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: emacs and osx
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:01:51 +0200

Bob Hunter <catdogbeloved@yahoo.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Bob Hunter <catdogbeloved@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>>... I bumped into this file:
>>>
>>>http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs-backup/emacs-sources.tar.gz
>>>
>>>Date: 13-Apr-2005 03:29
>>>Size: 76.5M (compressed)
>>>
>>>This "editor" needs to go on diet...
>> This is the CVS backup.  It contains _all_ versions of Emacs and all
>> intermediate development stages for the last 6 or 7 years or so.  I am
>> surprised that the size is so small.
>
> ... good grief.
>
> Any directions for (the tar version of) version 22? I do not want to
> register for the CVS, I just need the latest tar.

You could read the instructions on
<URL:http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs>.  There is no
registration required for an anonymous CVS checkout.

Anyway, I just tried an experimental tar+zip on my CVS tree (which is
not completely clean) and this resulted in 68MB.  So you might not
have the CVS backup of the Emacs repository, after all.  Try using it.

Anyway, Emacs is an extensible text processing platform and desktop
environment, so you should not compare its size to vi and edlin.