Re: how the H*** tp get cvs-emacs? (I use cmds given HERE!)

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: how the H*** tp get cvs-emacs? (I use cmds given HERE!)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:14:35 +0000 (UTC)

In article <87zmwbap4l.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> |  Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:2401/cvsroot/emacs
>
>There is no more pserver access.
>See http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs
>

>        Stefan

Ok -- I went to cvshome.org, and saw this:

                                                  Domain home page (p2 of 2)
   Dec 29, 2004 [31]Texi2HTML 1.72 Released!
   Start... This site allows you to start and manage projects related to
   CVS.

   [32]Register | [33]Login

   Important News

   The cvshome site is currently being thoroughly cleaned as a direct
   result of an exploitative code set that attacks a cvs security
   violation. The publication of this code makes all sites running cvs
   with any remote protocol vulnerable. Use the following information to
   determine if your site is at risk and to access either a patch for
   this problem or a full source distribution with the fix included.

   We are sorry for any inconveniences you may be experiencing as a
   result of this downtime.

No last-modified-date in the header, but clearly was either
added (this msg) on or after 29dec04, or got added before
that date, but was at least seen (and left there) by whoever
added the 29dec04 cvs-released note.

Well, it's april 2005 now -- what do people do to get
a cvs-emacs these days?

  =======================================

Further, I myself (never before having any use for cvs, and probably
no use beyond grabbing a cvs-emacs) find confusing that cvs-emacs
news the first response to my post said I should go to.

All kinds of stuff about dowloading a *software* repository, vs
a *webpage* repository, with four choices:

4 lines matching "cvs -" in buffer cvs-news-as-of-6apr05.htm.
     77:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co <modulename>
     82:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/webcvs/emacs co <modulename>
     93:cvs -z3 -d <membername>@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co <modulename>
     99:cvs -z3 -d <membername>@savannah.gnu.org:/webcvs/emacs co emacs

Anyway, *all* I want to do is download a cvs-emacs.tar.gz -- I don't
care *where* it comes from -- preferably from wherever *you*, Stefan,
get your own from.

Please, I really don't want to spend time learning cvs and the
details about savannah (now hacked) or wherever -- just a
simple cookbook-like command that will get the darned thing (cvs-emacs).

Maybe, stefan, I can just grab YOUR copy?  (We could talk by phone
to synchronize the few seconds you chmod a+r your version with
my grabbing it somehow (via eg lynx's "g" cmd done at your web site).

(Can't someone make it *simple* to grab a cvs-emacs?  Like copy a good
version to some public site, no cvs needed to download it!  sure would
make it a bit more user-friendly!)

Thanks!

David