Re: Starting emacs without initial frame

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Starting emacs without initial frame
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 05:09:47 +0900

>> Kind of stupid that, isn't it?  I vaguely recall that Gerd successfully
>> changed Emacs to map the initial frame only _after_ .emacs was read, but
>> people who did weird things in their .emacs complained so this eminently
>> reasonable behavior was dropped for "compatibility".
>
> My own local Emacs only creates the initial frame after reading .emacs ;-)
> It indeed creates a few incompatibilities (e.g. startup.el can't properly
> set the default of normal-erase-is-backspace before reading the .emacs
> because it needs to query the X server for that, but the connection is not
> yet opened).

Cool.  Obviously not for this release, but how about trying to get those
changes committed after the release?

> People may be annoyed at the "loading foo..." messages on stdout, tho.
> Also my code currently breaks --debug-init.

Those sound like the sort of detail that could be sorted out easily
enough though...  [personally I always find those initial "loading..."
messages annoyinga anyway; I think they should just be turned off unless
--debug-init etc.]

[Maybe there needs to be a queue of callbacks that is run when the
display finally shows up.]

-Miles
--
(\(\