Re: slow bibtex menu access

From: Sebastian Luque
Subject: Re: slow bibtex menu access
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:06:56 -0600

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:19:50 +0100,
Roland Winkler <Roland.Winkler@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

[...]

> What do you want to do when "clicking on any item in my bibtex
> menu"?

Anything, really, and now I've realized that it doesn't really affect the
bibtex menu, but any menu. Simply clicking on the menu bar hangs all of
Emacs for 30-60 s. Last night I realized the time increases according to
the line the cursor is on (no problems in the first few hundred lines).
Looks like a memory issue.

>> GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
>> 2005-02-03 on trouble, modified by Debian
>>
>> I've tried setting bibtex-maintain-sorted-entries to t and nil, but it
>> doesn't make a difference. It seems to be related to the size of the
>> file, as when I edit a blank or a few-entries long *.bib there's no
>> problem. My main reference file is 23,761 lines and that's when the
>> menu is pretty much unuseable. Does somebody know how to get around
>> this?
>
> bibtex.el has been rewritten extensively. You might want to try the
> CVS version. (However, this requires CVS emacs.)

Excuse my ignorance, what is CVS Emacs? I've heard the term before, but
that's about it. OTOH, is that bibtex.el planned for the next regular
Emacs release? if so, does anybody know when that will happen?

Thank you,

--
Sebastian Luque