Re: vim mode for emacs?

From: Paul Tremblay
Subject: Re: vim mode for emacs?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:48:18 -0500

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:41:54AM -0500, roodwriter@core.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: vim mode for emacs?
>
> David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> writes:
> >
> >> I hope this question doesn't sound too funny, but is there a vim
> >> mode for emacs? I remember reading on an email list that one could
> >> set up emacs so it would operate like vim--that is, you could hit
> >> the j key and move up one line, hit the k key and move on one line,
> >> and so on.
> >>
> >> I am coming from the vim world, but I really want to take advantage
> >> of emacs XML modes. But I am so used to the vim key bindings, that I
> >> was hoping I could adapt them to emacs.
> >
> > M-x viper-mode RET
> >

> My understanding is that viper-mode emulates vi, not vim.
>
> I thought I should add on to David's reply just in case that that
> makes a difference.
>
> I've never personally tried viper-mode, so I don't know how close it
> comes.

I've just tried it for a few minutes, and it seems pretty darn close to
vim. I think I can live with some discrepencies; what I would need is
just the basics. For years I have been moving my cursor with certain key
bindings.

I wonder if the viper mode will also work when I have to load in the
special XML mode.

Thanks

Paul

--