Re: perl-mode.el file in Mac OS X

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: perl-mode.el file in Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:39:11 +0100

Am 02.02.2005 um 04:54 schrieb Nicholas Tamara:

Hello,

Can anyone point me to the right location to place the perl-mod.el
file so that the emacs that comes with Mac OS X recognizes .pl files
as Perl script files? Thanks.

It's not the Elisp file that you have to put anywhere -- it's probably right now in a place that Emacs searches. You can check that with "C-h v load-path" and then check that you to have

/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/progmodes/cperl-mode.el
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/progmodes/perl-mode.el

What you need to do is to either "(require 'perl-mode)" actively or to set auto-mode-alist in a manner like this (to have only one place where you augment this list):

(setq auto-mode-alist
  (append
    '(("\\.xsl$"       . sgml-mode)
      ("\\.plist$"     . sgml-mode)