Re: umlauts (8bit characters) input

From: Hendrik Sattler
Subject: Re: umlauts (8bit characters) input
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:41:03 +0100

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> ;       (set-language-environment               'UTF-8)
>          (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
>          (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
>          (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
>          (setq coding-system-for-write           'utf-8)
> ;       (set-keyboard-coding-system             'utf-8)
>          (set-terminal-coding-system             'utf-8)
> ;;      (set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
> ;;      (set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)
> ;       (set-language-environment               'German)

I don't understand why emacs should need all that. There are locales and
they define a system charset, emacs should use that as default.

> It's always helpful to check what Emacs actually receives: C-h k and then
> you type the umlaut.

It gets M-| for the 'ü', '|' is 0x7C and 'ü' ist 0xFC, so the 8th bit is
ignored.
Does emacs care for readline settings?

> Probably your Linux system too uses UTF-8 as file-name-coding-system ...

No, the locale de_DE@euro has ISO-8859-15 as character set, nothing fancy.

I really want to get that guy that said that ASCII and thus 7bit is a useful
default :-(((((

HS